I offer “Comprehensive Couples Assessments” for couples. Couples complete a four session evaluation process where the couple is seen together for one visit, each partner individually, and then together again on the fourth visit. We then engage in therapeutic collaboration for direction for the couple and for the next phase in therapy.
Clients have sought couples therapy for as many reasons as you can think of. But I will tell you it may all boil down to a few simple underlying issues that cause your strife and discontent. Learning, exploring and discovering causes of your relationship’s custom blend of characteristics and cycles will help improve your relationship. Understand each other at a deeper level and learn new coping skills for dealing with conflict.
Scientifically proven methods are employed to help couples heal the past, derive immense pleasure from the present and set a course for their future. Assessment and couple therapy will address your individual patterns and core beliefs as well as explore a couple’s dynamic. In therapy, you may uncover the causes of suffering and provide space for collaborating for change. Couples counseling is a proven method to bring harmony and/or closure to relationships with authenticity, integrity and honesty.
Couples can restore trust, improve communication and heighten connection.
Specialty areas include:
- communication – feeling heard/getting your needs met through compassionate listening
- sexual disconnect or dissatisfaction, infidelity
- parenting style differences
- financial differences
- feeling respected/feeling cherished/feeling loved/feeling worthy
- in-laws involvement
- unhealthy fight cycles
- emotional regulation
- money matters
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Dr. Sue Johnson.
- Love Sense: The Revolutionary New Science of Romantic Relationships by Dr. Sue Johnson.
- Emotionally Focuses Couples Therapy for Dummies by Brent Bradley, PhD, and James Furrow, PhD